Background Check Form/Policies
The Rocket City Scholarship Organization’s purpose in instituting a background check policy is to establish standards which minimize risks to the organization’s personnel and scholarship recipients; to promote a safe environment; to protect the organization’s reputation, and to protect key organizational assets, such as people, property, and information. The policies and procedures stated herein shall apply to all Rocket City SGO employees and board members.
Background Check Form
1. Background checks shall be conducted on employees and board members, to uphold the public trust, minimize legal liability, and/or adverse public reaction, which, as a part of their usual duties has the potential responsibility for handling situations with adults or children, or those who handle Rocket City SGO funds.
2. All existing employees and board members shall be subject to a background check, as will applicants for new positions.
3. In the event that it is determined that an individual has been convicted of any serious criminal offense, the information found will be considered by Rocket City SGO in making decisions as to whether to hire an applicant for employment or utilize them for volunteer services, or to reassign, suspend and/or terminate an individual, whether an employee or volunteer.
1. sexual misconduct of any kind, including but not limited to criminal sexual conduct in any degree, sexual abuse, prostitution, solicitation, indecent exposure, gross indecency, and/or the attempt of any such offenses, or 2. acts of violent aggression of any kind, including but not limited to assault, arson, child abuse, vulnerable adult abuse, homicide, kidnapping, malicious destruction of property, robbery, riot, stalking, and/or the attempt of any such offenses, then Rocket City SGO shall deny employment to any such applicant or employees and board members or shall suspend or terminate the employment or services of any such employee, board member or volunteer.
A. Any misdemeanor conviction will be used to make decisions up to and including reassignment, sanctions and/or discharge, especially where the misdemeanor is found to be related to the job responsibilities of the person.
B. Rocket City SGO reserves the right to use any felony conviction as a basis for a decision up to and including reassignment, sanctions and/or discharge.
C. In the event that a criminal conviction involves:
D. The conviction of use, possession, or sales of illicit or controlled substances, including the operation of a motor vehicle under the influence of alcohol or illicit substances, may also be the basis for reassignment, suspension, and/or termination of employment or volunteer services.
A. The application packet shall include such documents that serve to inform applicants that they shall be subject to a background check.
B. Each applicant shall complete an authorization to obtain information and/or general release of information document in order to be considered for employment or volunteer services. The completed authorization form(s) will be forwarded for processing. Failure to return these documents shall constitute a withdrawal of the request for employment or volunteer service.
C. Results from the background checks shall be forwarded to the Board of Directors, as appropriate, for review and action. Rocket City SGO reserves the right to take action on the results of such inquiries to best serve its interests and those of the people it serves.
D. Copies of the completed application packet, authorization forms, and any documents obtained through the background checks, shall be maintained in the candidates personnel file. Privacy of the files shall be maintained, as indicated by the Rocket City SGO Board of Directors.
2. Ongoing Personnel Management:
A. The Board of Directors shall be responsible for ensuring the periodic review of agency employees and board members, and shall conduct repeat background checks at the discretion and frequency as determined by the Board of Directors.
B. Results will be reviewed for job relatedness. Reassignment of position, suspension, or discharge may occur as a result of the background checks, dependent on the seriousness of the criminal conviction and the position occupied by the staff person.
3. Negative Action:
A. Employees and board members will be given an opportunity to explain any results obtained through the background checks before any adverse action is taken. Factors such as the age of the individual at the time of the conduct, the recency of and circumstances surrounding the conduct will be taken into consideration in the decision making process.
B. The Board of Directors will review for action. This recommendation will be forwarded, with identifying characteristics such as the individual’s name withheld, for discussion and decision as part of a regular business meeting of Rocket City SGO .
C. Any decision may be appealed, in writing, within 30 days of the receipt of the negative action letter, to the Rocket City SGO Board of Directors. Implementing this appeal process may limit the ability of Rocket City SGO to assure the privacy of the individual facing adverse action.